For more information contact Nancy Jones (K-5th) at email@example.com or 719- 395-7011. Contact Angelee March (6th-12th) at firstname.lastname@example.org or 719-395-7125.
CDE ELL Website: Office of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Education.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNING
As pursuant to the Colorado Department of Education’s Guidebook on Designing, Delivering, and Evaluating Services for English Learners (ELs), BV Schools uses a structured immersion English Language Development model and recently implemented a Newcomers program. The following guide ELL programming:
1. Direct English language and literacy instruction by certified ESL staff;
2. School-wide plan optimizing instruction for ELs that is embedded into staff development;
3. Identification of key concepts and vocabulary;
4. Widespread use of hands-on activities, visual aids, and repetition;
5. Scaffolding lessons to achieve communicative competence;
6. School or community resources that allow students to work with speakers of the native language;
7. Suggestions to parents for use of primary language at home to aid in accessing underlying conceptual content knowledge.
Seal of Biliteracy
In August 2023, the Board of Education approved a seal of biliteracy for eligible graduates. The Board values the attainment of proficiency in language and will award students a graduation certificate for students who demonstrate proficiency in two languages as defined by Colorado Department of Education and Buena Vista Board of Education.